Tuesday, January 20, 2009

--2009_01_20_Obama for the inmates--

--2009_01_20_Obama for the inmates--

My second assignment for the Hutchinson News was to shoot the Reno County Jail Annex in downtown Hutchinson. The county closed down the annex for almost a year to do some repairs and restoration. Using mostly inmates to do the work it was done for a very small amount of money and is reopening soon. As I walked through the annex shooting environmental portraits and searching out subjects for my photos I saw that one of the two large bunking rooms for inmates was broadcasting the post Inauguration coverage. I asked the Sergeant who was touring me around if I could go in and make some photos and found it strange when he had to unlock to door to let me in since I couldn't see anyone in the room.



As I was making images I heard a rustling from the shower and a few whistles, turns out there was some last minute cleaning going on. I'm not aloud for legal reasons to show photograph the faces of any of the inmates, I made some quick pictures and then the man came out all finished up and we talked for a little about the cleaning and the annex, then he brought up the inauguration and we talked about its significance and historical value very briefly before he went to the Sergeant and updated him on his progress before getting back to work.



I love the number of assignments I seem to be getting starting out with this paper. I always seem to make my best images while I'm busy but still have time at assignments to work the situation a little more in-depth than just your regular everyday hit and run photography.

From Kansas with love,
Brad Vest

Listening to: Time to Pretend, MGMT

No comments: