Tuesday, September 23, 2008

--Fishing with the locals... and Obama--

--2008_09_17_Fishing with the locals... and Obama--

While here I am trying to come up with a story to follow while out here. I haven't really gotten into anything yet, but I need to soon so I have time to really try and tell someone's story that usually wouldn't be seen or told.

Seattle is full of characters, it is a strange, beautiful place and well worth exploring if you ever find yourself in the grasp of the mighty northwest.

As I was riding home from work along the Puget Sound I decided to stop and check out a fishing dock near Seattle's grain elevators. I wasn't really expecting to much, maybe just a few people fishing obviously or just enjoying the views.

I found a few out of work commercial fisherman who happened to fall on a set of tough times and tougher coincidences. We talked, I spent a couple hours with them, learning their story, learning about their lives and how they came to be. I learned that because of the fishing methods we have exploited around the world there are not enough fish for the number of jobs it used to support. A strange thing caught my eye, something I couldn't help but notice, a sticker of Barack Obama. He had been stuck carefully and relatively level to the railing of the pier, a symbol of Hope.

best-
brad

listening to: shuffling

reading: What is the What













No comments: