Friday, January 30, 2009

2009_01_29_Desolation

2009_01_29_Desolation

Kansas is a very different place than anywhere that I have come from. Parts of it show a likeness to the flat and open parts of northern Illinois, but it's different. It seems more open, old, worn, and in some parts very desolate. Desolation is a theme that I seem to keep on seeing throughout where I travel for assignments and just around town in general. Parts about Kansas also seem to really sync with the economic perspective of the entire United States right now. While I've been here I've seen and heard commercials that say that Kansas is still going strong and it's doing much better than the rest of the United States. There are still parts however that seem very impoverished and showing the wear of the ages.



I am going to start exploring these parts of my city, Hutchinson, and the state more in depth. There are so many possibilities for photos here it is sort of mind boggling, maybe it's just because it is completely foreign to me, but I feel I am drawn to a lot of different subjects here.



Here are just a few shots of sort of a theme I am trying to build on while here, open spaces, desolation, deterioration, etc. etc.

Thanks for looking,
Brad Vest





Listening to: Chicago, Sufjan Stevens

1 comment:

Roxana said...

i haven't even read the post yet, i just want to beat erica to the comment.